Sunday 15 January 2012

Derby Music


It seems to me that Roller Derby and music go very closely together.
honestly, how many derby girls do you know who's partners, boyfriends, fiance's or husbands are not in a local band, a DJ or not somehow closely connected to the local music scene?
Is it possible that after years of standing in the crowd, taking pictures, video, working merch tables that the girlfriends said "ENOUGH! IT'S YOUR TURN TO STAND IN THE CROWD AND WATCH ME!"
Generally I find that the Roller Derby community is connected very much to the punk scene in local towns. Girls in fishnets, with tattos and lots of make-up, makes sense to connect them with that one particular genre.
however in my experience in meeting most girls is that the majority know nothing nor care nothing for punk and would prefer to put on a tune you would hear at a local club then a great Iggy, Ramones, Siouxsie and the Banshees (Had to put that in there, love my Siouxsie) tune any day of the week.
I am the stereotype.
My husband sings in a local band called Rabid Reaction, they are a hardcore band. And I myself have a love for punk. Most of the girls on my team are the opposite and do not care about or understand my obscure musical references, a poor habit I have picked up from my record collecting hubby and his equally as geeky friends over the years.
So although I myself am the stereotype. I have tattoos, and have had my share of funny haircuts, I own a studded leather jacket, and more band shirts then regular shirts in my wardrobe. Please do not assume all derby girls fit into this neat little package!
However yesterday I did learn the one thing the majority of us share is a hatred for NickelBack!

No comments:

Post a Comment