Monday 18 June 2012

Soooo much fun!

It came and it went. The weeks leading up to our first bout went to slowly, then the final days passed way to quickly as my stomach began to knot, and my excitement turned to fear!
Our last practice before the game was on Thursday night. I was doing pretty good until we were told to cool down, then the real panic and fear hit. All day Friday I watched the minutes zoom by, and a feeling of panic and quickly began to take over.
Then Saturday was here. I spent most of my morning in a daze. Triple checking to make sure I had everything, skates, gear, clothes! My head was pounding, and the fact that we were out of coffee was making it so much worse.
I was ready and getting impatient that my husband was not getting ready when he pointed out the time and I realized we were not due to drop our son off at my parents place for another 2 hours.
Ooops, ha ha.
I went outside and cleaned out the car for the trip, then got some sidewalk chalk and drew a train on our front steps with my son.
Finally the time came. We dropped him off and went to the market to get coffee from I'd Hit That before we hit the road.
The drive went fast, and we made it to Saint John. First stop, Second Spin so my husband could purchase some records. Something I have grown very used to over the years being married to a record collector. Next stop, food! I was very thankful my husband had made me sit down earlier that day and eat a bowl of cereal, however it was now 7 hours later, and 2.5 hours before I had to meet the rest of the ladies at the arena. So it was the perfect time to get some food into me.
I refused the option of fast food, and we went to a pub and got a burger. Wanted something relatively safe to avoid throwing it up later, or getting a really upset stomach before the game.
Then off to Heartbreak Boutique! My only must stop place for our visit. I bought a tank top, and if I had had the money to spare, would have bought so much more. Next time I am saving up for the trip!
Also would like to mention around this point myself and my husband were very thankful I had switched to an i-phone the weekend before, as it helped us find all of our destinations quickly, and avoiding the eventual we're lost fight!
After my stop at Heartbreak we went to the arena. I went on facebook and saw where the girls were, so we met them there. And in a flash, it was time to head to the arena.
I get directions on where to go, walk in and see my shirt laying on the bench. Grab it, and go get changed it a bathroom that was a little icky! We sit inside and wait. A few girls come around with fruit trays, and we sit and wait some more.
Fire Crack'Ya and myself go out for a meeting with the refs. Then back in and wait some more. We head out for our first warm up, not really sure what to do, should we have planned something in advance? Oh well, to late now. Back into the dressing room to wait some more. Then back out for the second warm up, still not better prepared them we were the first time. Then back to the dressing room.
Then the time came. One of our borrowed players from Saint John mentioned to me she had some anti-drowsy gravol. As soon as we were told it was time to start, I felt my stomach do a fancy flip, I looked at her and asked if I could have one. She rummages through her bag for me, I take it quickly and off we go!
There was some definite confusion when we first got out. We didn't realize we were beginning the intro until we heard our music. We couldn't hear the announcers at all. Some of the time a girl when out and skated knowing a name was announced but unsure if it was hers or not. We just had no clue what was being said.
The FCR girls did their intro, and then it was time. I was up in the first group. At this point I felt surprisingly calm. It was just like any other time really. The fear was replaced with a feeling of familiarity, and off we went.
FCR gets lead jammer, she comes back for a second round and I lost her in the crowd and she went around again. Not off to the best start!
About the 3rd or 4th jam I get asked to be jammer. I am not a jammer! Just so everyone knows. After fighting and fighting I get through only because there was no pack, the jam gets called off before I can try again.
By half time we were getting beat pretty good. So we decide, "Meh, we have nothing left to lose, let's just begin hitting them like mad!"
This tactic worked, as we finally broke into triple digits on the scoreboard. I remember seeing it, looking at LipSmack, then grabbing her and shaking the poor thing like a rag doll. I was so proud of us! I couldn't believe our first game we broke 100 points.
You have to understand, at no point was I ever expecting to win, or even cared if we did! I just wanted to play and play well, and I feel we accomplished that. The game ended with a score of 112-241 to the Scarlet Swarm.
It was over in the blink of an eye. And I am so proud of all of us. We played well, hard, and did pretty damn good our first time out!

No comments:

Post a Comment