Wednesday 7 December 2011

lovers and haters.

In the relatively short amount of time I have been involved in Derby the one thing I notice the most is that the people who love this sport, love it!!!
And then there are the people who know nothing about it but need to comment anyway.
Since the end of the World Cup there have been non stop posts all over the board about how great it is, the attention it got the sport, and I agree.
On the other hand there are the haters. The people that sit at home and grumble, the people who seek out websites for their hometown league and have to share their opinion, and the people who must write blogs and newspaper articles looking for a reaction.
In the beginning, when I first began this sport I would respond to the haters. Now, I just move on. Unless I'm PMS'ing, then you may get a response from me. But if you really really read what most of the haters are saying, you will notice they know nothing about the sport. They have done no research, have not attended any bouts, or even taken the huge step of strapping on skates and trying to stand up. So really, what's the point?
Why respond to some misinformed person with hateful "SCREW YOU!" messages that just make them go "See, see, they are just a bunch of angry woman!"
And men, although men tend to keep calmer about such things. Ever see 2 men get into a fist fight, then 2 days later their best friends? Yeah, I don't get it either, cause woman don't usually react that way.
I'm not an angry person. I get easily annoyed with stupidity, and my patience runs out. I won't fly off the handle and go down in a blaze of glory, unless I'm PMS'ing then who knows what I'll do really. So I don't see the point in egging these people on.
My father was a police officer. He was very well respected when he was doing the job, and still years after retirement will get an occasional call to return to work.
Why?
Interrogations!
He was great at them. The reason he was so great was because he would walk in and shake the hand of the person he was sent in to question. He treated them with respect, and he in turn was respected.
So if we as Derby lover, and Derby skaters approached these people with a just a little respect, we would probably get a better response. And people would stop pegging us as "Wrestlers on Skates!"
That's just my opinion though. I have not been doing this long enough to know about past battles, and issues with past haters. I can only speak for what I see and how I feel about it.
It's always easier to fly off the handle, call someone a bitch and flip out. And trust me, there are many times when I myself want to do just that, but it gets me no where.
I dunno, just my personal opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment