Thursday 26 January 2012

Get up off your butt and do something about it.

I am sorry to inform you of this tragic fact. But you are old.
I know, it snuck up on you. It's not your fault, it happened before you knew it.
You grew up, got married, had kids, and life became about everyone else but you.
So now what?
You probably sit home night after night watching your shows, late night sitcoms are the soap operas of the 21st century after all. You most likely work. Go in everyday and seek out that one person that makes you laugh and makes the day more tolerable. however you never see each other outside of work.
That is life, that is growing up, that is how it goes.
I ran into an old friend who I had not seen in years back in October 2010.
She said to me "I came back to see people and party. But everybody's so boring now. You're all married and have kids, no one knows how to have fun anymore."
I said to her "I'm sorry I grew up and you didn't." and walked away. In my defense I was being told I was boring by a girl who was strung out on coke and drunk, and I don't feel that she needs to belittle my life when I said nothing about hers. Although I did have a few things I wanted to say, but again I will hold my tongue and move on.

If you're lucky enough to have close friends who will stick by you no matter what, then that's great for you. However, in all honesty life doesn't usually end up that way. people grow up and grow apart. See each other less and less, and when you add kids to the mix, well that's when most people disappear.
So what are you gonna do about it?
You're old.
You're sitting at home.
You have no friends.
You're bored.
You're tired.
You're probably a little sad that you're in this state.
Get up and do something about it!!!!! 
Get up, leave the house and make a change. Nothing gets any better by sitting on a couch wishing. You have to take steps to make a change that will make you happy!

For me, that came in the form of Roller Derby. For others it may be another sport, a cooking class, group exercise, I don't know, something!
Something is always better then nothing. So get up up, turn off the t.v. kiss your boring life goodbye and get out there and meet people, make friends, learn how to laugh at reality, not reality t.v.
Since joining roller derby we have actually cancelled channels on our tv because we don't use them anymore. I pay $40/month in dues, and I'm now spending $60 less per month on cable.
Roller Derby earned me $20/month!
How's that for awesome. Not to mention the great friends I've made, and the fact that for the first time in years, I feel like maybe, just maybe, it's a little bit about me, and not everyone else around me. These people make me feel important, like I matter in the grand scheme of things.
We all deserve that, so get up and find the thing that will make that happen for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment