Thursday 9 February 2012

Being a Derby Mom

My son is the love of my life, and the biggest stress in my life.
Since I am currently a stay at home Mom, Derby is my break from my job.
We're up and ready to start the day at 7. Some days go great, and some days. Well... Some days I'm lucky I can resist the urge to yank all my hair out and bang my head repeatedly against the wall.
You see my son is 2, and well, the terrible 2's are no joke!
He is however fascinated by my skates, and any other gear of mine he can get his hands on. I realized I was a derby mom the day he had a friend over. My son walked into the kitchen wearing my helmet. His little friend said  "Is there a bike? Is there a bike?"
And my son replied, very loudly I might add, "NO! SKATES!"

He has a bike, well a tricycle, however he does not care about his tricycle nearly as much as he wants to put my skates on and roll around.
While I hold him up of course.
So Karmaz Gunna Gitcha, another lovely Derby Mom in my league was kind enough to give me an old pair of pink skates her daughter had grown out of.
I think the day he saw these skates may have been the best day of his life!
When he puts the skates on however, he does not want to be alone, so he finds my skates and drags them over to me. We push whatever furniture is in the way aside, and race across the floor!
He usually wins.
He's quick, what can I say!


Most of the girls in the league are Derby Moms like me. And I think we can all agree that Derby keeps all of us from Mommy pattern baldness and serious concussions.
Of course this does mean we cannot make it to every meeting, event or fundraiser, we do what we can, and sometimes, when necessary we bring our kids with us. 
I hope someday, when he's grown up he's proud of me and the fact that I did this. I think the time away from home, being active, and just being an adult for a little while, helps me be a better mom to him.
Even us moms need our me time!

No comments:

Post a Comment