Tuesday 5 February 2013

I am not now, nor have I ever been your SWEETHEART!

It's surprising to me that in this day in age you still have men in the workplace that somehow feel it's okay to referance woman with nicknames like "Sweety" or Sweetheart".
When it comes to my particular office, I am the highest on the list in terms of authority. I work with only men, and I have had to have chats with them about nicknames and how they are not appropriate. Which really, is ridiculous to me!
How have you made it this long without getting hit?
What really surprised me is the reaction of one of the students at the school when he found out I played Roller Derby.
Now I do not announce this to students, I don't even announce it to my co-workers. However I work with one person who is fascinated by it and he tells everyone! And of course because none of them know what it is, it immediately spreads through the office and soon every student is asking me about it.
Since they know very little about it, they immediately picture me in tight clothes, booty shorts and fishnets... *Sigh*
So one of them upon finding out I play roller derby has not only stopped calling me by my name, he now only calls me sweety, sweetheart, winks at me, and makes constant sexual references that are not appropriate in the least.
Prior to finding out I played, he refered to me by my name and was always resepctful.
I have made it clear it needs to stop, however since he is a not a co-worker, but technically for lack of a better term a customer, he feels he can continue on however he wants.
Me playing Roller Derby does not make me your sweety, your sweetheart! As a matter of fact the only person who calls me by such names is my mother!
Me playing Roller Derby does not make it so you no longer have treat me with respect!
Me playing Roller Derby does not make me a skank!

Actually, me playing Roller Derby means I can take you out quickly, effectively and without using my hands, and that I have about 30 girls who let me practice and hone my skills a few times a week.

Me playing Roller Derby does not give you the right to let you pig side come out front and center!
Roller Derby is a full contact sport. Would you approach a football player and talk to him the way you are now talking to me?
I wonder how this man would feel if his daughter played and men suddenly started talking to her the way he talks to me on a daily basis?
What is wrong with men?
Not all men, just the majority!

No comments:

Post a Comment