Saturday 31 March 2012

Changing the routine.

I joined Derby just shy of a year ago, after spending months home on disability bored out of my mind.
You see I have issues with my thyroid. It's overactive, then underactive. It's large, and sometimes swells, and pushes on my vocal chords causing me to lose my voice for days, weeks, months, and even years at a time.
There is really nothing they can do, they monitor my levels, however since it chances from normal, to high, to low, so often, they cannot judge the medication I need. So they just make sure I don't go to high or to low and try to keep me somewhat stable.
:)
So after almost 2 years of searching and searching, I have a new job!
A very promising job, outside of the call center. And TA DA! I walk into the office as everyones in this areas boss.
This makes me very very nervous, and very very excited at the same time. This is going to be hard because after almost 2 years of being home with my son, I won't be with him anymore. He is actually really excited about starting daycare and playing with other kids everyday. It's easier now then it was when I was returning to my call center job at RBC, because he is old enough that I can explain what is happening and he understands. And I work M-F dayshift instead of 1-9 M-F so I actually get to see him and my husband, tuck him into bed at night, have family dinners and feel somewhat normal!
For me, this will be my first time working fulltime outside of my house while being in Derby. Also, I have to travel between the Moncton Office and the Sussex Office, so at least 2 days a week my day will include allot of driving. So it is going to be hard to find the energy for late practices after a long day. With anything, it will just take time to adjust to my new schedule. And I really feel that this is the right thing for me and my family. It's a great opportunity that will put us in a better position to pay off some bills and perhaps move to a better neighborhood to give us all a better life.
Still, my nerves are shaking quite a bit over this change. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Your thyroid condition sounds like Hashimoto's.
    do you have an ultrasound report indicating how big your thyroid is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had scans and scopes and tons of things done to look at it and monitor it, however I also have Doctors who only want to do half the work. I was told I had Graves Disease, then a year later was told she was wrong and that is not what I had at all. But no new diagnosis was ever given.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the answer. The thyroid inflammation starts with hyperthyroidism, and then turns to hypo. Many people are misdiagnosed with GD because instead of measuring their TSI antibodies AND doing the nuclear scan, only one test is done:)
      The reason I am asking is because you mentioned some voice problems that are usually associated with nodular goiters (the nodule pressing on the nerve, not voice box.); nodular goiters are more pronounced during swallowing and asymmetric, they also “harder “then surrounding tissue www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFa2mReaR2M
      Sorry for lecture!
      Regards “Professor”

      Delete